All information about the condition of the bells and towers is based on an expert opinion, but is subject to change and may be out of date.
Alphabetic lists of bell towers in the Diocese of Ely
Alphabetic lists of towers are on three pages: A to H
, I to R
and S to Y
, or click on an individual letter.
An interactive map showing the locations of towers in the Diocese is here
. Initially, all ringable towers are shown on the map, including those with and without regular ringing. Map controls are available to include unringable towers, or to exclude towers with no regular ringing. A short description of each tower is provided, with a link to the tower page on the relevant district website.
Each district of the Ely DA has a map and list of its own towers with their practice nights:
Lists of bell towers for each number of bells
Lists of bell towers sorted by the number of bells are on four pages:
Churches maintained, listed or owned by other societies
The Churches Conservation Trust
||In the Diocese of Ely, twelve churches with bell installations are maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust (formerly known as The Redundant Churches Fund) with money provided
by Parliament and the Church of England, and by the gifts of the public.
Although no longer used for regular worship the churches remain consecrated buildings.
Cambridge – All Saints (C3u)
Conington– All Saints (H6)
Feltwell St Nicholas (Wu)
Offord D'Arcy (H3u)
Parson Drove (W5u)
Steeple Gidding (H3u)
Swaffham Prior (E6)
Walpole St Andrew (W6)
West Walton (W5)
Wiggenhall St Mary The Virgin (W6u)
||Round tower churches are:
The Round Tower Churches Society exists to work for the preservation of these churches, and to investigate further their origins and history. In the Society's almost 40 years of existence it has made grants to more than 150 of the approximately 185 English round tower churches.
- mostly found in East Anglia;
- often over 1000 years old, built in Saxon times;
- usually set in rural tranquility;
- frequently holders of intriguing relics from long ago.
||In the Diocese of Ely, there are four churches with bell installations
which are listed by the Round Tower Churches Society:
West Dereham (W5u)
||Since 1957 the Friends of Friendless Churches have campaigned for the preservation of ancient and beautiful but redundant churches. They now own over 40 former places of worship, half in England, half in Wales, which are preserved as peaceful spaces for visitors and the local community to enjoy.
||In the Diocese of Ely, there is one church which is in the care of the Friends:
Wood Walton (H4u)